Field Trip Reflection

On yesterday's trip, I enjoyed the many different sites that we got to visit. The memorial to those who were lynched was very interesting and allowed me to reflect on how unfairly blacks in America were treated at the time. Many were lynched for such petty things which made me very upset to learn about. I also found learning about false imprisonment interesting. So many African Americans were treated horribly in prison. One 15 year old boy was sentenced to life in prison without parole, and was placed in the adult prison despite being a minor. Many others were serving a life sentence for non-violent crimes. I was also shocked at how recent many of the cases were. This just shows how racial profiling is still a major and prevalent issue today.

The National Memorial for Peace and Justice
The freedom riders were also interesting to me. Their story and perseverance was fascinating and it shocked me that I had never heard of them, and neither had many of my peers. It was really cool to stand in the same spot that they did while being attacked. It made me honor them for standing up for something they believed in and for being so self-sacrificial. It was fascinating to learn about how they never gave up while being imprisoned, despite all of the horrible things that were happening to them. It just shows how much of a difference that their actions made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester II Final

Immigration Stereotypes

Racial Differences in Drug Usage and Incarceration