US History - Flag Research

Flag Research


This American flag comforter is one of many flag- themed objects available online.

1. I learned that the US flag was created on June 14, 1777. I also learned that it's origins are                   unknown, but it was created in continental congress.

2. I found out that several acts were passed to change the stars on the flag, originally representing the 13 colonies, but they now represent all 50 states. These issues were made from 1777 to 1960. There have not been any changes to the stripes because they have remained the same.

3. I learned that the white on the flag represents purity and innocence, the blue represents vigilance, perseverance, and justice. The red represents hardiness and valor. The stripes represent the 13 colonies and the stars represent each state.

4. a. Now I know that the United States flag is a symbol for many things. The stars represent a symbol of the heavens and what mankind should strive to be. The stripes are "symbolic rays of light from the sun".
b. Through research I learned that the flag's nickname is Old Glory. 
c. The flag is represented through many different genres and styles of music. It is often respected the way that it should be, but in some cases, it is not. Most American music artists want to show the country in a positive light, but others can be more critical and rebellious towards American traditions and culture.

5.  From research, I found that there are many rules and regulations regarding how the flag should be treated. This includes not  burning the flag, not wearing it (this is not commonly followed), and not letting it touch the ground. It is worthy of respect because it is so much more than just a piece of fabric. It represents this nation's ideals and because of this it should be treated well.

6. I believe that the flag itself is not controversial. It represents American ideals and the American dream. Many people make it controversial, despite it not being so originally. If it is not treated the way it is supposed to, only then does it become controversial. A recent example of flag controversy is with the burning of flags. When many people are unhappy with the current political state, they can lash out in many ways and this is one of them.


*highlight below to see annotations*
Sources

This website taught me when and where the US flag originated. It also taught me the flag's nickname.

This website taught me what the US flag is a symbol for.






Comments

  1. their are a lot of spaces. I would suggest deleting some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your image and all your links work. On 4, 5, and 6 I would start with "I know", "I found", or "I learned" in the start of every sentence. You also used your opinion along with factual evidence to support it which helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thorough work on this post - including how hard you worked to overcome the annoying tech glitches!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Semester II Final

Immigration Stereotypes

Racial Differences in Drug Usage and Incarceration